Monday, February 05, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes

A couple of weeks ago, as we ate lunch after church, I asked Katie, my middle daughter, what she had learned in Kids' Own Worship (our children's church program for K-2nd grade). She quickly responded, "Jesus doesn't make sense."

I was a little concerned that maybe she had missed the point or that our curriculum was getting a little off track, so I probed a little more. What I found out was that she really meant "Jesus never sinned." But the more I thought about what she said, the more I realized she had stumbled onto a genuine truth of being a Christ-follower. Jesus doesn't always make sense. Jesus sometimes ask us to do things that aren't rational or safe or easy. Jesus sometimes does things in our lives that are difficult to accept or to understand. The teachings of Jesus often confront and challenging our conventional ways of thinking.

Jesus really doesn't always make sense. But the times that he doesn't make sense are often the times that he is growing me the most. The more I follow him, the more I discover, like Aslan in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, that he isn't a tame lion and he isn't safe, but he's good.

No comments: