Thursday, February 15, 2007

The End of the Journey

This picture hangs on the wall of my office. It is a picture of a through-hiker who has come to Mount Katadhin, Maine, the end of the 2,100 mile Appalachian Trail. The title of the photo is "The End of the Journey."

I looked at the picture last night as I was on my way out the door to go visit my friend Brick in the hospital. Brick is going home today. His cancer has advanced to the point that his doctors advise against doing any further radiation treatment. So, Brick is home to spend whatever time he has left with his wife and daughters. He has just about come to the end of the journey. He has walked the trail well, and I am pleased to be one of the ones who comes behind him.

Brick continues to amaze me as he handles himself with grace and faith. Although he can barely see or hear and has difficulty speaking, he continues to show incredible concern for others and leaves everyone who sees him amazed at his love for them.

I do not like having to let go of Brick. He has been an awesome friend and example. Brick is coming to the end of the journey, but there is something more incredible awaiting him.

No comments: