Friday, March 02, 2007

Restaurant Review

One of my regular readers threatened to take away my man card for my review of a Mediterranean restaurant in Addison. So, I offer this review of Deno's Fried Pies as penance.

Deno's is located in Denison, TX, and is one of my favorite places to go as an occasional treat. It is occasional because one of the key ingredients that makes Deno's pies so wonderful is grease. The crusts on the pies are about as flaky as any you will find on a fried pie (a result of plenty of grease in the dough), and they are deep fried, giving a wonderfully crisp outer crust.

Of course, the thing that draws me to Deno's are their dessert pies. They come in an assortment of flavors: apricot, apple, cherry, peach, pineapple, blackberry, chocolate, coconut, vanilla, lemon, apricot cream, apple cream, cherry cream, peach cream, pineapple cream, and blackberry cream. Of the flavors I have tried, apricot has been my favorite by far, although the cherry is very good also. The chocolate seems like it is a little rich to me, combining the chocolate filling with the already rich crust. Coconut is my favorite type of pie ordinarily, but for some reason it didn't work for me in a fried pie.

Deno's also offers frozen custards blended with their fried pie flavorings. You can also get an assortment of breakfast (bacon, egg, and cheese; sausage, egg, and cheese; etc.) and dinner pies including flavors like Tex-Mex, Polish sausage and potato, or chicken and vegetable, to name a few. I have not tried any of these pies, so I can't give a review of them.

If you are expecting bakery or donut store prices at Deno's, you will be a little surprised. Think more along the lines of cafe prices, more than a donut store, less than Starbucks. By the way, Deno's also offers a good variety of hot drinks. Click here to see Deno's full menu.

Pie, grease, crust. How can you go wrong?

1 comment:

The Missional Position said...

That is the best line I have ever read in a food reveiw: "Pie, grease, crust. How can you go wrong?"

Classic.