Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Surreal Life

I'm extremely tired as I write this. Sunday evening I went to be with my family. My mother is caring for my grandfather as he is dying with a number of problems stemming from eighty years of smoking. We placed him in the hospital on Monday, and it looks like he may be there for the duration of his life. It was a difficult visit, but a really good one as I had a chance to tell him how much he meant to me and what I had learned from his life.

As I was there helping my mother care for him, I was struck by the surrealness of life. I bathed him, changed his diaper, wiped his nose, and got up numerous times during the night to care for him. Back at home, I have an infant for whom I do the exact same things on a daily basis.

King Solomon, one of Israel's kings and one of the wisest men who ever lived, once said, "There is a time for everything, and everything on earth has its special season. There is a time to be born and a time to die." I am thankful that our lives are not accidental. We go through seasons in our lives, but in every season of our lives, God is preparing us for the life of eternity.

No comments: